TORTAS FRITAS (FRIED CAKES)
TORTAS FRITAS (FRIED CAKES). Alimento Base: Butter, Melt the 2 tbsp. butter or margarine and 1 tbsp. of shortening together in a pan or in the microwave. Heat the milk (or water) until hot, but not boiling. Combine the melted fat with the milk (or...
- 2 tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1 tbsp. vegetable shortening or beef lard
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. baking powder Royal is suggested
- Approx. 2 cups shortening or beef lard for frying
Elaboración paso a paso
- Melt the 2 tbsp. butter or margarine and 1 tbsp. of shortening together in a pan or in the microwave.
- Heat the milk (or water) until hot, but not boiling. Combine the melted fat with the milk (or water).
- In a bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking powder. Mix well.
- Make a hole in the mound and pour the liquid in the middle. Gradually incorporate the flour mixture.
- Once mixed thoroughly, turn the dough out onto a flat, clean surface and knead well. Separate into 12 equally sized balls. Roll out each ball into a circle 1/2 cm thick. With your finger, poke a hole in the middle of each circle.
- In a large frying pan, melt 1-2 cups of shortening or lard over medium high heat. Fry each circle to a golden color in the melted shortening or lard. You might need to lower the temperature to medium while frying the batch.
- Transfer tortas to a plate with kitchen towel or paper bags to remove excess oil.
- Eat while still warm with dulce de leche spread or mermelada. Enjoy with coffee, tea, or better yet, yerba mate.