BAHAMIAN CRAB SOUP
BAHAMIAN CRAB SOUP. Alimento Base: Crab, Remove back (top) shell from body of crab. Remove fat from back shell, being careful not to break the bitter gall. Discard gall and back shells. Remove fat from body shell, if any. Save fat and body shells...
- 6 white land crabs washed
- 1/4 pound salt pork or 2 tsp. bacon fat or oil
- 1 large sliced onion
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp. thyme
- 3 tbsp. rice uncooked
- Vegetables as desired
Elaboración paso a paso
- Remove back (top) shell from body of crab.
- Remove fat from back shell, being careful not to break the bitter gall.
- Discard gall and back shells.
- Remove fat from body shell, if any.
- Save fat and body shells and set aside.
- In a pot fry out salt pork or heat bacon fat or oil; add onion, tomato paste, flour and seasonings.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until onions are golden brown.
- Crack body shells and add with claws and crab fat to cooking pot; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Add 2 quarts boiling water and rice; simmer 2 hours.
- Vegetables such as potatoes, carrots and whatever you have may be added.
- Serve hot.